California Veterans Education Opportunities Partnership

First-Time VA Beneficiary

If you are just beginning to use your VA benefits, you will first need to complete the following Veterans Administration forms.

  1. Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill), Chapter 1606 (Reservists) and Chapter 1607 (Reservists): Complete the application for VA Education Benefits, Form 22-1990.

    If you served on active duty, the application should be accompanied by a photocopy (certified copies are no longer required) of your DD Form 214 (discharge papers). If you are applying for benefits as a reservist, you should include a copy of your DD form 2384, Notice of Basic Eligibility.
  2. Chapter 35 (Dependents' Educational Benefits):
    Complete the application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance, Form 22-5490.
  3. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Veterans:
    Complete the Disabled Veterans Application for Vocational Rehabilitation, Form 28-1900.
    You must submit this application first to your nearest Veterans Administration Office.

If you apply for admission and are admitted to a UC campus, be sure to request certification of your enrollment from the campus's certifying official in order to receive your VA educational benefits.